Monday, February 4, 2008

Donating Eggs

My wife and I had our three kids through in vitro fertilization. We decided that 3 kids was enough and decided to donate the remaining eggs. We screened a bunch of couples and finally settled on a couple that seemed right. A couple of days ago we received a letter that the couple was expecting. Below is that letter


Late last October four embryos were thawed, three were viable and then transferred. We are overjoyed to share that of the three God breathed life into one. The little one is now 13 weeks strong, healthy and growing. Today, results from the first trimester screening came back normal. It is too soon to tell if it is a boy or girl, however we will stay in touch. Thank you seems to be an insufficient way to express our joy and anticipation of the future gift you have given. Blessings to you and your family


I told my mother that we were going to donate the eggs when she visited us last fall; my mother didn’t say anything but I could sense that she didn’t really like the idea. She probably thinks it is some kind of Frankenstein science. There are two things we could do with the eggs; destroy them or donate them to another couple. We did the latter and I think we did the right thing.

No comments: