Saturday, March 29, 2008

Attended the effective discipline stategies for children/teens seminar

Today I attended the effective discipline stategies for children/teens seminar. When my wife suggested this seminar to me I thought it would be a waste of time and money ($200). I am glad I took it, a lot of things are much clearer to me now. For example the difference between a punishment and a consequence

Consequenses:
Fit The Behaviour
Are for bad choices, NOT bad kids
Are about now, not the past
Are firm, friendly and kind
Permit choice

Punishment
Invites rebellion
Teaches resentment
Attack on self-esteem
Relationship is based on fear
Dehumanizing
Teaches children to bully others

Kids bully other kids because the same happens to them at home. If your kid needs therapy then go with him, by making him go by himself you will make him feel that something is wrong with him. The person doing the seminar also said that kids are way over-medicated nowadays.

If you want to know more about this seminar visit ParentAssist

No comments: